Whether you need an extraction in Olympia, Washington, because of significant tooth decay or damage, or you need your wisdom teeth removed, our dentists understand how important aftercare is. Dr. Lawton and Dr. Manchester can help you to recover as quickly as possible with this list of helpful steps to recovery:
- To lessen bleeding, gently bite down on a piece of gauze in intervals of 45-60 minutes.
- Remember to change the gauze when needed.
- Do not engage in activities that can elevate your heart rate.
- Keep your head elevated.
- Start rinsing your mouth with salt water 48 hours after your surgery. Avoid alcohol-based mouthwashes.
- When you brush your teeth, avoid brushing the extraction site.
- Use ice to control swelling.
- Take medications as prescribed. If you have an allergic reaction, like itching or swelling, contact us or an emergency room as quickly as possible.
- Maintain a soft food diet that is high in protein.
- Drink a plenty of fluids but do not use a straw.
- Smoking can increase your risk of dry socket or infection. Avoid smoking for several days after your surgery.
- Be patient! Healing takes time and may require a follow up visit.
We hope these instructions are helpful in your recovery process, and we invite you to call Northwest Center for Prosthodontics at 360-459-4400 if you have any questions or concerns. We wish you a full recovery after your surgery!