Our dentists at Northwest Center for Prosthodontics care about your dental health. Dr. Lawton and Dr. Manchester have provided you with the necessary instructions to ensure you have a quick and effective healing process. Below, you will find instructions that you should follow to aid in your recovery.
- Start rinsing your mouth the day following surgery. Be careful to avoid rinsing your mouth the day of your surgery! This could irritate or contaminate the surgical site.
- Carefully follow any instructions regarding prescribed mouth rinses and medications.
- If you experience bleeding, you may gently bite down on a clean piece of gauze until the bleeding stops.
- Use mild pain relievers, such as Ibuprofen, Tylenol, or Advil, to deal with pain. Make sure you start taking pain relievers before the anesthetic wears off.
- Eat soft foods until you are comfortable with your regular diet. Drink plenty of fluids!
- Resume brushing your teeth the day after your surgery. Be careful to avoid the surgical site until it is completely healed and do not brush the implant itself.
- If you experience swelling, use ice packs for the first 48 hours. If the swelling continues to, use heat until the it subsides.
- Dentures, night guards, and other appliances should not be worn for at least 10 days following your surgery.
- Do not smoke for at least 2 weeks after your surgery. Smoking increases the risk of infection and may cause your dental implants to fail.
To learn more about what you can do after receiving dental implant surgery in Olympia, Washington, please contact our office at 360-459-4400. We look forward to answering your questions and helping you heal as quickly as possible!